Pages

Thursday 25 June 2009

When Empires Clash! – Play-test 1 – Interim report

As you might have noted from my previous blog entry, I have begun the first play-test of the latest version of WHEN EMPIRES CLASH! So far I have finished the first two turns, and the changes to the rules seem to have improved the flow and the feel of the game.

Because it is my wife’s birthday this weekend, most of the next few days will be spent celebrating this event. As a result I will not be able to finish the play-test until early next week. In the meantime, here are a couple of images from the battle to whet your appetite.

The first is the British force advancing towards the Mahdist positions at the other end of the battlefield.

The second shows the Mahdist Spearmen – followed by the Jihadia Riflemen – passing between two rocky outcrops.

Incidentally the colour of the tabletop seems to change depending upon the light at the time the image is taken. I have attempted to allow for this when I take the image and when I manipulate it before it is uploaded to my blog. This has only been partially effective, and in the long run I suspect that I will have to repaint the tabletop to overcome this problem.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob, I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the test - I am also interested to hear about how the amendments/adjustments are working out. Personally i dont think the colour issue of the playing surface is cause for concern - it looks fine and I guess will always be at the vagaries of the current lighting conditions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ogrefencer,

    The play-test has already thrown up one or two instances where the rules need to be 'tweaked' - particularly with regard to European infantry is squares.

    As to the playing surface ... well the grid lines are too prominent, and a coat of textured paint would make it look better. This is a possible future project but not one with a great deal of priority.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.