Pages

Saturday 11 July 2009

A long day’s drive … with a stop or two

My wife and I have spent most of the day visiting my father (aged 83) and father-in-law (aged 95). This involved driving from South East London over into South Essex (via the Dartford tunnel), then back into North West Kent (this time via the Dartford Bridge), and then home … a round trip of just under 200 miles. The journey was made bearable thanks to Radio Four’s Long Wave coverage of the first Ashes Test Match; my wife and I just love listening to TMS (Test Match Special). Whilst I like listening to all the commentators and summarisers, her favourite commentator is Henry Blofeld and her least favourite is Geoffrey Boycott (and that is an understatement!).

We did have time to stop off on the way for a break, and I managed to visit a model shop where I was able to buy some more AIRFIX models for my ‘nostalgia’ project. This is now beginning to come together, and once I have got WHEN EMPIRES CLASH! to a state where it is complete to my satisfaction, I hope to begin work on it.

I was also able to do a bit of thinking about adding aircraft to WHEN EMPIRES CLASH! With a bit of luck I might even be able to try some ideas out tomorrow if time and other commitments permit.

4 comments:

  1. I am eaten up with curiosity over the Airfix project - it seems that you have stockpiled tons of 'kit'! the aircraft factor for WEC will be most welcome - I did not realise until I started intensive reasearch how active the air aspect was for the Balkan wars, even the Italo Turkish conflict had some notable aerial 'firsts'. There is a great camera shot of an Italian Dirigible bombing Turkish trenches on Wikipedia.

    As ever Bob, I will look forward to these in due course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ogrefencer,

    I will be writing more about the AIRFIX project very soon.

    As for the use of aircraft in WHEN EMPIRES CLASH! ... well I hope to try a few ideas out later today (Sunday 12th July) and to add a blog entry afterwards.

    So keep reading ...

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleased to see you are a TMS fan I must say I find Blowers a shade irritating these days, - Aggers is far more on the ball. There is a great cricketing wargame to be designed. Are you the man for it>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trebian,

    I agree that Aggers is very good ... but I like the eccentricity that Blowers brings. Whether I could stand being stuck in a lift with him for an hour or two is a different matter; in that case Aggers would be a far better companion!

    A cricketing wargame … I wonder? After all, according to Douglas Adams’s LIFE, THE UNIVERSE AND EVERYTTHING, Cricket (properly Krikkit) is a small planet that, having discovered the rest of the Universe – and not liking what they found – fought the Krikkit Wars against just about everyone.

    There must be a wargame there somewhere!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.