Pages

Wednesday 30 September 2009

When Empires Clash! – Colonial Wars: A progress report

Having finally developed a layout that I like, I have begun to draft the revised draft of the Colonial version of my WHEN EMPIRES CLASH! rules.

So far I have been working on the General Rules section, and I have made the following changes:
  • The addition of two sets of numbered ‘chits’ – one set for each side – to the list of equipment needed to fight battles using the rules
  • European and European-style infantry will be allowed to form a small tactical square within a single grid square by placing the stands back-to-back
The activation ‘chits’ will be used by each side to indicate the order in which units will be activated during their turn, and are a development of an idea put forward by two of the people who have play-tested the rules. Likewise the suggestion that European and European-style infantry be allowed to form small tactical squares came from play-tester feedback.

These additions show how important play-testing is in the development of a set of rules.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    I like the numbered chits for activation. Much more quickly understood, actually obvious, than card suits. (yeah, I'm untrainable.)

    Looking forward to the new version.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    I thought that you might like the idea as it is so simple and much less intrusive on the tabletop than playing cards.

    With a bit of luck I should be able to make some significant progress with the latest draft of the rules this weekend.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.