Pages

Sunday 7 November 2010

Rivals of the Raj

Whilst I was attending Paddy Griffith's Memorial yesterday, the latest Foundry Books publication was delivered. The book is entitled RIVALS OF THE RAJ: NON-BRITISH COLONIAL ARMIES IN ASIA 1497-1941 (ISBN 1 901543 19 6), was signed by the author (Peter Abbott), and cost me £30.00.

The book has ten chapters and a bibliography section. The chapters are:
  • Introduction
  • The Austro-Hungarians in Asia
  • The Danes in Asia
  • The Dutch in Asia
  • The French in Asia and the Pacific
  • The Germans in Asia and the Pacific
  • The Portuguese in Asia
  • The Spanish in Asia and the Pacific
  • The Americans in Asia and the Pacific
  • Minor Powers
    • Belgium
    • Italy
    • Sweden
I must admit that I had not realised the scope of European and American involvement in Asia and the Pacific until I began to read this book and it strikes me that it is going to be a very useful addition to the library of anyone who has more than a passing interest in colonial military history.

6 comments:

  1. I was tempted, but 1497-1941 seems like an absurdly long period to cover. I thought it was a misprint at first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale,

    Although the period covered is quite long, I still think that the book is worth serious consideration.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very tempted - I just couldn't think of what I'd use it for...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conrad Kinch,

    Resisting temptation is good for the soul ... in the meantime, I will carry on giving in to it!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Treated myself late last night - got an email early this morning saying it'd been posted. I know it's fashionable to bitch about Foundry, but I can't fault their service levels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve,

    It is a great book for 'dipping' into. I have started to read it a section at a time because there is so much stuff in the book that is new to me. I had a vague idea about some of the involvement that smaller colonial powers had in Asia ... but this has really opened my eyes to the possibilities of some different colonial conflicts that could or did occur.

    I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.