Pages

Saturday 13 November 2010

Simple model ironclads: The second prototype

The second prototype was constructed using the same methods as the first ... but certain changes were made that ensured that the end result was much closer to what I had originally planned.

The first change was to make the hull slightly thinner. The first prototype was 5cm wide; the second was 4cm. This made the whole model appear longer, which enhanced its appearance. Secondly, the strips of basswood used to construct the casemate were also thinner than those used on the first prototype, which reduced the overall height of the casemate, which also improved the model's appearance. Finally, the funnel (or smoke stack) was constructed from several wooden spools that were glued end-to-end. The result was both thinner (and more in keeping with the size of the model) and it had the characteristic 'bands' around the funnel that were a common feature on ships of the period.

The second prototype looks much better than the first prototype, and any subsequent casemate ironclads that I build for MEMOIR OF BATTLE AT SEA will follow the same basic design.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice - I really like the funnel.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim Gow and Bluebear Jeff,

    I have had them in my 'spares' box for quite a long time ... and when I saw them I suddenly realised that they were an ideal solution to my funnel/smoke stack 'problem'.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks marvelous. I'm taking notes.
    I think I am going to need some underscale gunboats to go with 1/72nd figures.

    -Ross

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ross Mac,

    My initial design process is quite simple. I work out how long the model can be to fit the space the space I have available. I draw out a very simple top and side view ... and then add enough detail to make it 'look' right. It is a process of trial and error, but the more you do, the less error seems to creep in!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.