Pages

Friday 31 December 2010

Highs and Lows

It is the last day of 2010, and I must admit that it has been what the Chinese would term ‘an interesting time’.

So what have been the highs and lows of the year?

Starting with the ‘lows’:
  • The rapid deterioration in my father’s health and all the consequent upheaval to the life of all my family that has occurred
  • The death of Paddy Griffith (a man to whom I owed so much but never had the opportunity to tell that I did)
  • The continuing (and apparently never-ending) Ofsted saga at work
  • My apparent inability to retire from employment (something that both my wife and I long for) due to the pressing need to pay off my house mortgage
The ‘highs’ included:
  • The re-publication of Joseph Morschauser’s book
  • The ‘discovery’ of H G Wells’ LITTLE WARS and Paul Wright’s FUNNY LITTLE WARS wargames rules, coupled with the decision to build at least one army by 2013 so that I can take part in the centenary celebrations of the publication of LITTLE WARS
  • Attending COW2010
  • Taking part in the ‘Invasion of Malta’ Megagame that was organised by Tim Gow, John Drewienkiewicz and others as a memorial to Paddy Griffith
  • Attending some of the wargames fought in central London by members of the ‘Jockey’s Field Irregulars’
I hope that 2011 will have more highs than lows, and I wish all my regular blog readers a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    Happy new year to you and yours - I am very pleased to hear that dad is settling in well and that the cruise was a good one. Here's to 2011 then and whatever that will bring!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Crook,

    Many thanks, and Happy New Year to your and your family. We never know what will happen in the future ... just hope for the best.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob thanks for a year's worth of engaging blogging. I echo your hopes that 2011 will have more highs and lows and wish you & your family all of the best in this new year.

    -Ross

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ross Mac,

    Best wishes for the New Year to you and your family ... and I hope that you keep blogging as well because I have enjoyed every one that you have written since you started, even if I did not always leave a comment that said so.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.