Pages

Saturday 12 March 2011

I didn't need it ... but it was a bargain!

Last week a colleague mentioned to me that they had seen a large outdoor chessboard in the 'sale' area of a toy super-store at a very reasonable price, and mindful of the fact that this might have possibilities if I ever wanted to demonstrate my portable wargame at a wargames show, I went to the store to check it out. Needless to say, it had been sold before I got there but then ...

Taking up quite a large part of the 'sale' area was a rather battered box that contained what was described as an 'electronic' aircraft carrier. The end of the box was quite badly bashed in, and the six model aircraft and the electronic sound effect box seemed to be missing. The model inside looked in one piece, and looked very much like a large version of the aircraft carrier that I bought very recently.

The whole thing was marked down to almost half price because of the damage and the missing pieces ... and so I bought it. Why? I don't know. I don't need it ... but it was a bargain ... and as such it was irresistible. Even better, when I got the box home and opened it, the model aircraft and the sound effects box fell out undamaged. They must have been dislodged by whatever had caused the box to get damaged in the first place.

So now I have a second, larger aircraft carrier to play around with. It is 78cm/31-inches long, and it does not look at all crowded with all six model aircraft on deck. 15mm-scale figures do not look out of place when standing on the model. All I have to do now is to find a wargaming use for the model!

8 comments:

  1. Well. Its not going to fit on the chessboard! Morshauser trick of putting ships on a stand and having them sail around the board seems in order. But really I could see this at COW if there are multiple rooms available. Each side could have their carrier in their own room and have to find the enemy carrier and attack it. Most players would of course be pilots who would leave the carrier and go on recon missions, encountering enemy planes and seeking the carrier but have to return before fuel ran out and then have to wait while they were refuled and rearms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob
    Following your earlier post on the smaller carrier you bought, I had a search in the attic. This yielded two of the smaller (45cm long) carriers and one like your most recent purchase. I have remembered thet the smaller ships were used to 'house' the air support in my 'Rumble in the Jungle' game (about Operation Starlite in 'Nam) about 6 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "All I have to do now is to find a wargaming use for the model!"

    Something that's never stumped you before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ross Mac,

    The model is almost big enough for the chessboard to fit on it!

    I like the idea of the multi-player, multi-room 'Seek and destroy' game (Tim Gow, please note!). We have tried similar games before, and they have always been both great fun and very informative.

    A game for COW2011, perhaps?

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim Gow,

    Between us we have enough carriers (and, I suspect, aircraft) to try out Ross Mac's idea for a multi-player, multi-room game 'Seek and destroy' game.

    What do you think?

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Conrad Kinch,

    Very true ... and from what I have read in the comments from Ross Mac and Tim Gow, I think that a use is already beginning to emerge!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob
    I think Ross may be on to something - hopefully I'll speak to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim Gow,

    I agree. I hope that we can discuss it soon.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.