Pages

Friday 4 March 2011

The portable wargame: A few adjustments

As I have not gone to work today (I am going to hospital later this morning to have a minor surgical procedure to remove a wart from under my right eye), I have been able to spend some time making a few adjustments to the rules I am using with my portable wargame.

Besides tidying up the grammar in one or two places in the hope that this will make the rules clearer or less ambiguous, I have made the changes to the activation dice that I outlined in yesterday's blog entry.

I have also given some thought as to how Dismounted Cavalry Units are treated in the rules. As they are currently written, dismounting cavalry is not an option, but by the end of the nineteenth century this was quite normal. In fact, in some armies – such as the Boer armies – this was the norm. I therefore propose allowing cavalry to dismount and fight as infantry should the need arise, but with a reduced Close Combat Power whilst they are dismounted.

8 comments:

  1. I was going to write something ascerbic about tinkering - but then realised that I have written dismounted cavalry rules myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad Kinch,

    Ascerb away! (I am not sure if 'ascerb' is a word or not ... but if it isn't, it should be!)

    The rules for dismounted cavalry came about as a result of a comment by Ross Mac. I must admit that I had forgotten that by the end of the nineteenth century cavalry was being trained to fight on foot as well as mounted ... and therefore I needed to tinker with the rules to accommodate this factor.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I trust all went well re wart- have a good weekend to get over things and perhaps game a bit...
    best wishes
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best for the op Bob. Has everything eased up at the old chalkface?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tradgardmastare,

    Thank you for asking how the operation went. At the moment I am unable to see out of my right eye as I have a large dressing on that side of my face. I only have to keep it on for twenty-four hours, by which time the wound should have begun to heal. After that, I might be able to do some wargaming ... or at the very least, blog about wargaming!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jfidz,

    The operation went well ... which is more than can be said for work! We all expected that the pressure would ease after the Ofsted inspection was over, but if anything, it has increased.

    I am looking forward to the day when I can finally retire from teaching and can spend even more time wargaming.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. One thing I like about your chessboard idea is that you can divide a larger battle up into smaller pieces and have them played by separate players

    Felling the 20,000 foot "seeing all" C-in-C and attendant angels

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

    This is an idea that arthur1815 and I have been discussing on and off for some time.

    Splitting the battlefield up into smaller segments – each with its own set of players – is something that I have seen – and done – in large-scale games.

    As you state in your comment, the use of chessboards makes it easier to do on a smaller scale, and eliminates the 'all seeing eye' that players so often have.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.