Pages

Friday 4 March 2011

The portable wargame: Latest draft of the rules

I have now completed the latest revisions to the draft of the rules I am using with my portable wargame. These revisions include changes to the rules relating to the activation dice and the ability of cavalry to dismount and fight on foot.

I have uploaded a pdf version for any interested blog reader to read and/or print, and it is available from the following link:
Frontier/Musket Wargames Rules
for use with a chessboard battlefield

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    I had a chance to try the Musket/Frontier rules over the weekend. One thing I noticed is that Firearms infantry are superior to CC infantry in all respects. It seems to me that CC infantry shoudl be better in Close Combat than Firearms infantry. Thus the Firearms infantry will need to defeat the CC infantry with fire before they can get to close combat. I therefore tried swapping the Combat Powers around (making Firearms infantry 4 and CC infantry 5). Seemed to me to work better.

    Thoughts?
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    The difference between Infantry with Firearms and Infantry with Close Combat weapons comes from Joseph Morschauser's original rules.

    I agree that it does seem to give the latter a major disadvantage, and there is no reason why they should not be swopped around. Don’t forget, the rules are there for you to play around with; they are not set in stone!

    I am considering allowing Infantry with Close Combat weapons the ability to move faster to compensate for the current disadvantage they suffer from ... but that is one of the ideas that I am working on in the next draft.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.