Pages

Monday 28 March 2011

Things can only get better ... I hope!

I was just about to leave work this evening to visit my father-in-law in hospital in Ashford when I was summoned to a very late notice faculty meeting. The only item on the agenda was the impact of the recent January AS and A2 examination results upon the future of the school. It appears that the Principal is under pressure to make significant changes, and the examination results are going to play a major part in the academic review that the senior management team is currently undertaking. It looks as if some existing courses - and therefore the staff who teach them - are very likely to be 'chopped' in the very near future.

Having heard that my job may well be on the line, I went home, picked my wife up, and drove to Ashford to see my father-in-law ... who seems to be feeling a bit better today. It was nice to hear some good news, and things got even better when I opened my post and found that a DVD of CALLAN - WET JOB had been delivered. This was a one-off TV programme that was produced in 1981, and it was the last appearance Edward Woodward made as David Callan. Although Callan has retired from 'The Section', has a new identity, and is now running a militaria shop, he is recalled by 'Hunter' (the head of 'The Section') to undertake one last job.

I am looking forward to watching this DVD in the near future ... and if the Principal does 'cull' the staff, I may have plenty of time to do so.

4 comments:

  1. I wish you luck, Bob, either way.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bluebear Jeff,

    Thanks. I have become resigned to the fact that whatever happens, happens.

    Years ago I would have protested at the way the whole thing is being dealt with ... but I now realise that 'management' will do what 'management' want to do, regardless.

    The only things that will annoy me is if they refer to themselves as 'leadership', as if it were synonymous with 'management'. To date, I have seen little or no ‘follow me’ but lots of ‘if at first you don’t succeed … you’re fired!’

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    If the troops fall into disorder on the march, ride amongst them, cursing loudly and beating the men about the shoulders with the flat of your sword. This will not achieve anything - but will convince any one watching that it was not your fault...

    [Francis Grose, Advice to Young Officers, 1782]

    Plus ca change...

    Best of luck!

    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arthur1815,

    How very true! If in doubt, appear to do something as it might convince someone else that you are doing your best.

    My wife tells me that I am out of step with the 'modern' management techniques that are now in use in education. My thoughts are ... long may it be thus!

    All the best,

    Bob

    Excretum tauri cerebrum vincit!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.