Pages

Wednesday 18 May 2011

The portable wargame: Converting the rules for hexes

For personal reasons I am not at work today, and as a result I had a bit of spare time to look at how easy it might be to convert my PORTABLE WARGAME rules for use with hexes rather than squares. In the end, it turned out to be even easier than I expected.

The easiest part was replacing every reference to squares into one that referred to hexes. The next step was to go through the rules and amend them so that they would work with hexes rather than with squares. Other than removing any references to measuring movement distances and weapon ranges orthogonally, and to squares that were orthogonally adjacent to other squares, this was quite a simple exercise ... and in my opinion actually made the rules easier to understand. The final step was to add a simple appendix that included a diagram that showed which faces of a hex a Unit was in were that Unit's front, flank, and rear.

The rules are currently untested, but I now have the bit between my teeth and would hope to see how they work a some point next weekend or during the following week. In the meantime, I will try to make the rules available online as soon as I have enough time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.