Pages

Monday 9 May 2011

The portable wargame: More tinkering required!

Conrad Kinch is right ... I just cannot stop tinkering with these rules!

In my defence, I must point out that Ross Mac read the latest draft and asked a question about pinned Regular Cavalry Units that I had not covered in the recent draft of the rules. I therefore need to make a few (hopefully very few) minor changes that cover the points that he raised and then ... with a bit of luck ... I will not need to tinker with these rules again ... well, at least for a week or two!

I will publish the changes as a blog entry just as soon as I have drafted them, and that will probably be later this week.

2 comments:

  1. Bob,

    Just a thought arising from a posting on TMP. If your troop bases are approximately one quarter the area of the grid squares, so you can place them in four possible positions with each grid square - top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right - you effectively quadruple the number of 'squares' on the grid without actually having to draw any more or marking the existing cloth, chessboard or whatever in any way.

    I think this could be useful when representing units that need to be rectangular, rather than square, such as ECW Foot in battalia, and in army-level games.

    You can use one base filling a grid square with your 54mm or larger scale troops for small engagements or skirmishes, and up to four bases per square with the little fellows for larger actions. I shall certainly be doing the latter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arthur1815,

    I must admit that I was trying to figure out how to produce a gridded surface that I could use with different scale figures ... and you have come up with an excellent solution.

    Not only does it make perfect sense, but it has an elegance that is compelling.

    Many thanks for this idea.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.