Pages

Monday 19 September 2011

Making some hills to go with my 'new' terrain boards

Whilst I was searching through the small stock of pine, basswood, balsa wood, and plywood that I keep for modelling purposes, looking for something to make some hills from to go with my ‘new’ terrain boards, I knocked over a box containing an ASDA ‘Jumbling Tower’ game. This is an ‘own brand’ version of Jenga, and each box contains thirty nine wooden blocks.


The wooden blocks scattered all over the floor, and whilst I was picking them up I realised that if you laid three of the blocks side-by-side, they were the same size a square on my ‘new’ terrain boards. I quickly glued three blocks together and realised that I had the basis of a hill that I could use. I have now glued enough blocks together to form twelve 75mm x 75mm ‘hills’.


Because the edges of the blocks are slightly bevelled I intend to glue a thin sheet of either basswood or plywood onto what will be the top and bottom surfaces of the hill. This will ensure the hill lays flat on the terrain boards and will have a flat top so that figures will be able to stand on it. Once the hill has a flat top and bottom surface, I will paint it to seal the surface and then cover it in static grass flock. If everything goes to plan, I should have some completed hills by the end of the week.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    I have seen the future and it is Blocks!

    Are blocks the new universal wargame accessory?

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice find , clever use of a non-wargaming product !.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    A great find! Your wargame room is a veritable treasure chest!

    I would recommend creating some edge pieces, with irregularly curved ends, that could be placed around the square blocks to create more aesthetically pleasing hill shapes on any level.

    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Crook,

    I bought these blocks after reading your blog entries about creating wargames armies from Jenga blocks. The ASDA ones are larger than the ones from THE WORKS (the ones that you use) so I had put them to one side ... and did not know what to do with them.

    Now I do!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mosstrooper,

    I don't think that I could have cut the wood I would have used to make the hills with the same level of accuracy as these blocks have been cut ... and a box only cost £3.00!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arthur1815,

    I am amazing myself with what I keep finding.

    I will see how the hills turn out before I decide what to do about making some edge pieces. I would like to make some, but only if I can get them to work with the rules.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course the other advantage of gluing together the blocks is that you will always win at Jenga!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stryker (Ian),

    That thought had never crossed my mind!

    All the best,

    Bob

    Note to self: Never play Jenga with Stryker

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.