Pages

Friday 25 November 2011

Having a cracking time ...

My wife and I decided to spend today sorting out some of the cupboards in my father-in-law's bungalow in Herne Bay. After breakfast we set off by car to drive to north east Kent ... but we had only driven as far as Gravesend when a stone hit the bottom on the windscreen on the driver's side of the car and caused a crack.

The stone had been thrown up by a passing car, and normally these just chip the glass. Such damage in inconvenient but repairable. Unfortunately this was not a chip but a full-blown crack which started out about three inches long but which quickly grew. At that point we decided that the best course of action was to go home before the crack extended right across the windscreen.

On the way back we stopped off at the local Autoglass depot, who arranged for the damage to be repaired tomorrow morning. They could not do the repair today because they do not keep windscreens for Mazda Tributes in stock, but they were able to order one for first thing tomorrow morning. The repair should take about an hour to complete, but I will not be able to drive for another hour after that in order for the the fixative to harden. My insurance excess for windscreen damage is £100.00, and I will have to pay this when the repair has been completed. This sounds quite a lot to pay, but the actual cost of the repair would be considerably more if I was not covered by my car insurance.

2 comments:

  1. I recently had to replace the windshield on my car, and coming up soon we will be replacing the windshield on my wife's van. I don't much like all the expenses that go into keeping a car on the road. Even a full complement of window wipers for our cars came out to some astronomical amount, and that's with most of the wipers being purchased today during a Buy 1, Get 1 50% Off sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,

    One sometimes wonders why some of the parts cars require when they need to be fixed are so expensive. I used to own a Volvo, and many of the parts were generic, but if you bought the parts in Volvo-logged boxes they cost up to three times the price of the same part in a non-logo e's box.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.