Pages

Monday 28 November 2011

Recent purchases

I recently mentioned that whilst I was in Norfolk I bought some model aircraft made in China and sold in the UK by Red Box Toy Factory Limited under the trade name 'Motor Max Sky Wings'. I bought a pack each (for £2.99 each) of two single-engined Yokosuka D4Y Suisei dive-bombers and twin-engined Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu fighters.


They look generic enough to me to be usable as single and twin-engined bombers in wargames set in the late 1930s and early 1940s ... and that is how I plan to use them.

This morning's post brought I further purchase, this time from overseas. Some time ago I decided that I would like to revisit my MEMOIR OF BATTLE rules, and that it might not be a bad idea to get some additional pre-marked dice. As I could not find a supply of any spare BATTLE CRY! or MEMOIR '44 dice I opted to buy five sets of COMMAND & COLORS: NAPOLEONICS dice from Valley Games.


Despite reading some pretty poor reviews about these dice I decided to take a risk and order some ... and I am quite satisfied with what was delivered. They will certainly be suitable for what I have in mind, and have saved me the bother of having to try to make my own sets of dice. (I have sufficient blank dice but not the patience to mark them up with suitable symbols.)

6 comments:

  1. Some useful bits there Bob. You can never have too many dodgy late 1930s aircraft. Or dice. So I'm told...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim Gow,

    I have also found some HO-scale American 'deuce-and-a-half' toy trucks that will probably be suitable for the late 1930s as well.

    Do I see a pattern developing here?

    As for the dice ... well they may make an appearance at COW2012.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob,

    Really nice aircraft and an absolute steal at the price!

    Like the dice as well - I have often wondered how many dice the average war gamer has in their collection!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Crook,

    If I could find some more aircraft from this manufacturer, I would certainly consider buying them as I think that they have considerable potential for imagi-wars set in the late 1930s/early 1940/.

    You can never have too many dice! I should know ... I have hundreds of them!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

    They are a very useful set of aircraft and I would have thought that they were about 1/144th-scale.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.