Pages

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Soldiers of the Queen (SOTQ): Issue 150

I have been a member of the Victorian Military Society for some years, and I always look forward to receiving my copy of their magazine every quarter.

The most recent copy of SOTQ (Soldiers of the Queen) was delivered yesterday, and I finally managed to read it this morning.


The articles included in this issue are:
  • The War Hidden from History: The Anglo-Boer War 1838-1842 by Hugh Rethman
  • Rebellion in 'The Great Lone Land': Canada 1855 by Geoffrey A Pocock
  • Turkish Contingent uniforms of the Crimean War era by Chris Flaherty
  • Octavius Skinner Burton (1823-1895): Cavalry Staff Officer and Police Inspector by Andrew Kilsby
  • Sacking in the South African War by Dr Rodney Atwood
  • Book Reviews
This was a particularly interesting issue for me. Having just returned from Canada, I found the article about the Riel Rebellion made much more sense to me that it would hitherto. The article about the sackings in the South African War did give me cause to 'harumph' at one stage when the writer described Sir Charles Warren as 'irascible and tactless', as my own researches indicate that this was a attitude that was usually only exposed towards superiors or equals whom he felt were not doing their own jobs very well. That said, Sir Charles did deserve to lose his command after the Battle of Spion Kop, when he failed to take any decisive actions or make timely decisions throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.