Pages

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Settled at last ... for the time being

After some confusion (someone from the hospital telephoned me to ask when my father was being discharged, and seemed surprised to hear that I was expecting them to tell me!) my father was finally taken by ambulance from the hospital he has been in for the past three weeks to his temporary placement in a nearby care home. My wife and I were able to be there when he arrived, and we stayed with him until he was settled in.

Hopefully we will be able to get my father moved to a permanent placement in a care home closer to where my brother and I live, but that is something that we can sort out in the near future. In the meantime I am satisfied that he will be well cared for in a care facility that has an excellent reputation.

8 comments:

  1. Francis Lee,

    Thanks for you kind comment.

    Getting my father into this interim care home has lifted a weight off my mind.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that is is settled for the time being. For all the many, many flaws of the US system, there is now way they would ever have let someone stay there that long in this situation... of course, that could have meant placement temporarily at a considerable an inconvenient distance, which certainly would not necessarily have been a better outcome. The US system is a massive and perverse one of passing the buck for the cost of care to someone else whenever possible!

    Hopefully your Dad secures permanent placement close to you an your brother before long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am please to hear things are moving forward for you all...
    best wishes
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gonsalvo,

    The NHS in the UK does a good job ... most of the time. Its acute care services are excellent, but the long-term care less so. Once you start getting to the 'Cinderella' end of the service - such as long-term continuing care - there seems to be a lot less money spent on it and the staff seem overworked (or sometimes lazy and/or lacking committment). Private care does seem to be better - but it is not cheap - and as in so many cases, you get what you pay for.

    Hopefully the trustees of the charity that run the care home we would like to transfer my father to for long-term care will approve his case. In the meantime his temporary care placement is a much better alternative to leaving him in hospital.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dancing Cake Tin,

    I must admit that my family and I are very pleased to have settled my father in such a nice care home.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tradgardmastare (Alan),

    Many thanks for your kind words of support. We finally feel as if things are moving in a more positive direction.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.