Pages

Thursday 29 August 2013

Insomnia Rules

Last Friday I wrote a blog entry about my recurring problems with insomnia, and how the latest bout had left me with a number of wargame design concepts/mechanisms that I thought might work together.

Although I have been doing lots of other things in the interim (mainly gardening and trying to learn how to use Cyberboard) I have also been trying to turn my ideas into a set of wargames rules. To date my attempts to write a draft set of rules have come to naught. In fact the drafts all showed signs of developing into monsters, and as a result I have decided to put this project to one side.

Experience has taught me that when I am beginning to tie myself up into knots trying to write a set of wargames rules, the best course of action is to stop, leave it alone for at least a week, and then to try again. It is amazing how much clearer ones thinking is when one does this ... and how previous seemingly unsolvable problems seem to fade away.

2 comments:

  1. Being a gamer and insomniac myself Bob- I know what you mean. My trick is to get the thoughts going round my head on to paper, it seems to lighten the load somehow... that way I can just work at them as the mood takes me with out 'carrying' them.

    That or watch late night documentaries- I now know a surprising amount about Octopi....

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete,

    Quite a few people have suggested putting my ideas down on paper so as to clear my mind ... and it sounds like good advice.

    I have tried watching TV but it seems to make my mind more active rather than less ... although I have never tried watching soap operas, which I do find tiresome!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.