Pages

Tuesday 15 July 2014

Soldiers of the Queen (SOTQ): Issue 156 ... and The Solo Wargaming Guide

Saturday's post (which I did not open until yesterday morning) included the latest copy of SOTQ (Soldiers of the Queen, the quarterly journal of the Victorian Military Society).


The articles included in this issue are:
  • Winston Churchill and the military significance of the armoured train incident by Hugh Retham
  • Governor Douglas makes an arrest: 'Aid to the civil power' on Vancouver Island 1852-53 by Dan Allen
  • Wolseley and Warren: A case of Mistaken Identity? by Ian F W Beckett
  • 'Off we go!': Life aboard a British troopship in the mid to late nineteenth century by Jan Pearson
  • The 21st Regiment of Foot (Royal Scots Fusiliers) in the Crimea by Major Frank Clark
  • Book Reviews
  • About the VMS
The Wolsely and Warren article has already piqued my interested as I have written and delivered a lecture about the life of Sir Charles Warren on several occasions. I look forward to reading that item in particular.

That day's post also included a copy of William Silvester's THE SOLO WARGAMING GUIDE (published in 2013 by Précis Intermedia [ISBN 978 1 938270 13 0]).


As a wargamer who fights most of their battles solo it seemed to me that this small book might be of use to me, and from what I can gather from the cursory look though it I have so far managed, it will be.

The book is divided into the following chapters and sections:
  • Introduction
  • The Campaign Level
    • Solo Campaign Mobilization Rules
    • Time and Transportation
    • Weather
    • Logistics and Attrition
    • Morale
    • Alliances
    • Revolts
    • Sieges
    • Mutinies
  • Sea Campaigns
  • The Personal Touch
  • Fact, Fiction, & Fantasy
    • Fantasy
  • Sample Campaign
  • The Tactical Level
    • Terrain and Placement
    • Weather
    • Commander's Competency
    • The battle
    • Concealment
    • Ambushes
    • Laying Minefields
  • Air Warfare
    • Paratroopers
    • Landing Gliders
  • Solo Boardgames
  • Appendix

2 comments:

  1. Silvester's book was a chance find for me on Amazon at the start of the year. I rather enjoyed it. Some good ideas. Hope you enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan Charlesworth,

    From what I have read in the book so far, it has lots of good ideas that I think that I will find very useful.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.