Pages

Friday 18 July 2014

The Shed: A ROCO and Roskopf bonanza!

Last night I began selecting the next couple of crates that I wanted to sort out ... and had quite a shock when I opened the first.

The crate was full of plastic bags that were covered in a very thick layer of dirt. In fact they were so dirty that I could not see what was inside the bags, and the labels had faded so much that they were unreadable. With some trepidation I tore the first bag open ... and found four ROCO Pzkpfw VI Tiger Is inside! The next bag contained two ROCO Pzkpfw VI Tiger IIs, a ROCO Jagdtiger, and three ROCO JS-IIIs.

By the time I had finished opening all the bags I had rediscovered the following model vehicles:

German
  • 1 x Pzkpfw III
  • 1 x Pzkpfw IV
  • 1 x Pzkpfw IV (AA)
  • 4 x Pzkpfw VI (Tiger I)
  • 3 x Pzkpfw VI (Tiger II)
  • 2 x Jagdpanzer VI Jagdtiger
  • 1 x Sdkpz 234/1
  • 2 x Grille 10/88mm
  • 1 x sWS (Cargo)
  • 2 x Sdkfz 18 (AA)
  • 4 x Kubelwagen
  • 2 x Schwimmwagen
  • 1 x Opel Blitz Truck
Russian
  • 10 x T-34/85
  • 3 x JS-III
Other
  • 1 x Sherman
  • 2 x M10/M36 SPGs
  • 1 x 155mm Long Tom M2A1
  • 1 x M53/M55 SPG
  • 3 x M113 APC
  • 2 x M113 APC (Mortar)
  • 1 x M113 (Command)
  • 4 x Motorcycle + Sidecar

I also found some other useful model vehicles in the crate. These included:
  • 8 x SIKU Bulldozers (If the cab and dozer blade are removed, this looks very like a Russian heavy artillery tractor)
  • 2 x Vikiing Hoch Limousines (Ideal for senior officers' staff cars!)
  • 3 x Viking Citroen Saloon Cars (Also suitable for use staff cars)
  • 2 x Viking VW Beetles

16 comments:

  1. I wish I might find my old roco tanks in a neglected box but I fear they have gone for ever. Well done to you.

    Forgive me if this seems cheeky, well it is, sorry. but..

    For some years I and a few others eg the lone S ranger have been slowly collecting masters for the old Crimean S range. We are still short of some such as British Drummers and artillery and many cavalry. If you are planning to sell or even are prepared to loan a few figures when you have leisurely sorted then please keep us in mind. Of course swapsies are always on the table.

    Thanks and apologies for pestering you.

    John Preece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tradgardmastare,

    The find considerably enhance my existing collection.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bluebear Jeff (Jeff),

    It was a bit like that ... and I still have several more crates to sort out so I have no idea what is yet to come.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim Duncan,

    True ... but I could certainly do without the scorchio weather!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnpreece,

    I was convinced that this collection of ROCO stuff had been thrown away years ago ... and I was very pleased to be wrong!

    I will contact you about the old Minifigs Crimean War figures as soon as I get around to sorting that box of stuff out. I don't know if they are the ones you are looking for ... but they may well be of more use to you than they are to me.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob,

    thank you that is very considerate, no hurry at all we have been waiting forty years a few weeks or months is of no matter.

    I know it is a nerve asking but we go around saying to each other " one day a box will turn up in some ones garden shed " so when it does....

    regards
    john

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great find, pace yourself to a box a day and it will be like a succession of Christmases.

    Seems like you've got even more for your GPW project.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Johnpreece,

    No problem! At the current rate of progress I hope to be sorting out the box containing the Crimean War figures on Sunday or Monday.

    My shed might not be your much hoped for one ... but you never know!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pete,

    I am under a bit of time pressure to get the initial sort out finished. After that I can then begin to take my time.

    The additional ROCO and Roscopf vehicles makes my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War project all the more achievable within a small budget.

    No excuse not to do it now, is there?

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bob,

    I think you have more stuff in your forgotten backup store than I've got in my entire wargaming collection.

    Trebian

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trebian,

    Probably ... but then I am a lot older than you!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bob, you and I pretty well match in age but my hut is 17 foot by 10 foot and is fairly well stuffed with collections. Then there are my cupboards in the house, the main loft and the void above the bathroom ceiling.

    I shudder to think what I have stashed away and forgotten about.

    Only yesterday I found 4 battalions of 25mm Minifigs French Napoleonics unpainted and in original 'mint' condition which I'm hoping to pass on to an American webfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jim Duncan,

    Your hut is slightly larger than my (rather full) toy/wargames room plus my shed ... but I have managed to avoid using other space in the house as well.

    I am ashamed to say that I do have quite a lot of painted and unpainted metal figures stored but unsorted, and fully expect to find all sorts of things that I will not remember buying and/or painting.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.