Pages

Tuesday 21 April 2015

British Artillery

Sue and I live in Woolwich, which is – despite the fact that the Regiment no longer occupies the barracks – still the true home of the Royal Artillery. My wife's family have been associated with the Regiment since the last decades of the eighteenth century (One of her direct ancestors joined the Regiment as a twelve year-old fifer and retired as Fife Major to the Company of Gentlemen Cadets at the Royal Military Academy) and both my father and maternal grandfather reached Warrant Officer rank in the Regiment.

It therefore gave me particular pleasure to varnish and base four bases of Royal Artillery and one of Royal Horse Artillery to add to my British Napoleonic wargame army.


Now the only figures that I need to varnish and base in order to complete the British part of my collection of Del Prado pre-painted 25/28mm-scale Napoleonic figures are the cavalry and mounted Officers. Once they are done I think that I will take a short break before I move on to tackle the French figures in my collection ... of which there are quite a few!

8 comments:

  1. Granted it was only the OTC at Uni but the Royal Artillery is also my Regiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Xaltotun of Python,

    Once a Gunner, always a Gunner regardless on any later regimental allegiances.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carry on Cordery.

    When shall we see these on the field of Mars?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conrad Kinch,

    I've almost finished the British, and once that part of the project is complete I will only have the French to do. The projected completion date is the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo ... and then I will be in a position to fight some battles!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello BOB- You have a very close attachment to the Royal Artillery and Your Del Prado figures take Pride of Place. Have Gamed some naval Actions with a version of Your Rules- so thankyou Bob for a Start in Pre-Dreadnought era gaming. Here is a LINK to my last entry on Colonial Navy Action.http://colonialwargame20mm.blogspot.com.au/
    Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss firing 12lb an 32lb smoothbore guns at the Halifax Citadel 1995-96 can't believe it was twenty years ago this summer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kev,

    The link is even stronger than I indicated in my blog entry: I can actually see the old Royal Military Academy, Woolwich - where the Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers used to train their officers - from the window of my toy/wargames room as I varnish and base my figures!

    I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed using my wargames rules. I think that the ironclad/pre-dreadnought era is one of the more interesting and enjoyable ones to wargame, and it looks as if you do as well.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Irishhighlander,

    It sounds like you missed out on quite some experience.

    It's amazing how quickly time flies past ... and how much things both stay the same and change. I still feel the same as I did back in 1995 ... but the world around me doesn't!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.