Pages

Tuesday 9 May 2017

Vive l'Empereur! Another return to my Napoleonic project

I have been planning to get back to work on my Napoleonic project for some time ... but until now I have not managed it!

I have begun work on renovating, varnishing, and basing a batch of eighteen French Napoleonic Foot Artillery figures. This will enable me to form nine additional French Artillery units, which will be more than enough for my needs. I also have some Horse and Veteran Artillery figures ready to follow them, and by the time that they are finished I will be able to include them in the French Order of Battle. The former will be used to support my French Cavalry units and the latter will be used as garrison troops.

Until recently I had not realised how long I have been working on and off on this project. The original intention had been to use my collection for a re-fight of the Battle of Waterloo ... but I am almost two years late already! Admittedly the collection has grown somewhat in the meantime, and is probably between twice and three times its original size. As of today the numbers of figures that have been completely renovated, varnished, and based are:
  • Dutch-Belgians: 49
  • Brunswick: 25
  • Hanover: 37
  • Prussia: 163
  • Britain: 230
  • France: 373
  • Total: 877
I have not included the current batch of figures that I have just begun work on in these figures, nor any of the other French figures I have yet to do. I also have a small Russian army (the figures have been acquired via eBay and are from the Del Prado RELIVE AUSTERLITZ! range of pre-painted 25/28mm figures) to add to the collection as well as some odds and ends that include a few Austrian and Italian figures. I estimate that when finished I will have close to 1,000 figures in my collection.

It will come as no surprise to regular readers that I hope to write and publish a set of rules entitled THE PORTABLE NAPOLEONIC WARGAME at some time in the future. It will use the same basic mechanisms but with a few changes that reflect certain aspects of Napoleonic warfare. For example, units will mostly have two bases as this allows them to be arranged to show what formation the unit is in.

6 comments:

  1. Bob,
    At over 1,000 Figures your Napoleonic Armies would have to be one of the largest Del Prado Collections going. Assume that you will be photographing these figures for your up and coming Portable Napoleonic Wargame book. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson,

      The collection has grown somewhat larger than I ever imagined that it would, helped in no small manner by the acquisition of Stuart Asquith's collection and a large box of figures that were bought on my behalf by Tim Gow at last year's SALUTE.

      Theses figure will feature heavily in my planned PORTABLE NAPOLEONIC WARGAME book ... when I managed to get around to writing it!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I also had a Waterloo project in mind that got put on the back burner for a Club project in which I was supposed to 'play' Napoleon but ended up with a cold so vicious, I limited my attendance to late on the second day as a spectator only. But I had to see my soldiery in action at least!

    I have been distracted away from my Napoleonic Big Battles for Small Tables project, but the interest is beginning to revive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo,

      The bicentenary of the Battle of Waterloo did seem to encourage quite a few people to plan re-fights. At least yours took place, even if you were not fit enough to take part ... more's the pity!

      I am looking forward to seeing more of your Napoleonic Big Battles for Small Tables project. Seeing what you have done has helped me to frame my own thinking on the subject.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. That is a pretty large army. I suspect it is not very portable. ;)

    I'll be interested in the Napoleonic version of TPW as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      It is portable ... as long as you carry it in one Really Useful Box at a time!

      The Napoleonic version will probably end up being suitable - with minor modifications - for wargames set between 1790 and 1860.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.